Summer Research Internship
The application period for 2023 is now closed.
The Stanford Center for Artificial Intelligence in Medicine and Imaging (AIMI) is committed to advancing AI research in medicine for public good, promoting health equity and excellence in healthcare. In this spirit, we are excited to launch our annual Summer Research Internship for high school students interested in exploring technical and clinical aspects of AI in healthcare.
During this two-week virtual program, we aim to spark interest and empower the next generation of AI pioneers in medicine through a combination of lectures on AI in healthcare fundamentals, hands-on research projects, and mentoring activities with Stanford researchers. An extended independent research internship opportunity may be available for interested program participants. Our hope is to inspire students to develop innovative AI solutions to advance human health.
This year, we are also accepting applications for Student Leads who will assist with project leadership alongside one of AIMI's mentors.
There is no fee to participate in this internship.
- Program dates: June 19-30, 2023 (Mon-Fri, 9am-1pm Pacific Time)
- Application deadline: March 31, 2023, at 11:59pm Pacific Time
- Summer Research INTERNS must be high school students over the age of 14 by the start of the program.
- Student LEADS must also be students over the age of 14 and may also be undergraduate students with a computer science background.
- Student LEADS must be California residents.
- Stanford AIMI embraces inclusion, integrity, diversity, and team-science as pillars for success. We encourage students from all backgrounds to apply, particularly students from groups under-represented in AI. No coding, AI, or data science experience necessary. We will select a cohort representing diverse experience and skill levels.
Applications are due by Friday, March 31, 2023 at 11:59pm Pacific Time. Applicants will be notified of their application status by May 1, 2023. The online application consists of short-essay questions and uploading your CV/resume and unofficial transcript.
We will be adhering to Stanford's policies for COVID-19 and programs and activities involving minors.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Do you accept applications after the March 31 deadline?
We received a high volume of applications during the application period and are not accepting any additional applications at this time.
Are international students able to participate?
Since this program is strictly online, international students may apply for the STUDENT INTERN role; however, STUDENT LEAD applicants must be residents of California due to internal policies.
Do students have to pick between the Student Intern and Student Lead roles or can they apply to both?
Students are more than welcome to apply for both the Student Intern and Student Lead roles (if they meet the eligibility criteria above). If successful, they will be selected for only one of the two roles.
Can students include letters of recommendation in their application?
Letters of recommendation are not a requirement to complete the application and therefore may not be considered during the selection process.
Why do I get an error message when trying to access the application link?
You are likely logged into a Google account from an organization that does not allow you to share files outside of your organization. Please double check this setting and if the problem persists, try submitting from a non-restricted account.